Relationships are an essential part of our lives and help build a strong support network that’s crucial for our emotional health. These relationships come in all shapes and sizes, from the intimate to the distant and challenging.
A healthy relationship involves trust, communication and respect. These qualities are important because they create a sense of safety and security in your relationship. They also allow you to spend time with other people like your friends and family without feeling jealous or worried about your partner.
1. Being in a loving, supportive relationship can give you a sense of purpose and make you feel better about your life.
When you’re in a relationship with someone you love, you have a chance to grow together and learn from each other. This kind of learning can add a whole new dimension to your life and make you a more complete person.
2. Being in a positive relationship can improve your mental health by calming anxiety and keeping blood pressure in check.
When we’re with someone we love, our brains release oxytocin, which helps us relax and reduce stress. It also makes us happier and more likely to take steps towards a healthier lifestyle, including getting plenty of sleep and eating well.
3. Having someone you can rely on to help you stay on track with your wellness is another reason a relationship is healthy. A spouse, friend or significant other can be a great sounding board and encourage you to get help if you’re struggling with your mental health. They can remind you of the things you enjoy and motivate you to keep working on your wellness goals.
4. A healthy relationship is one where each partner can be themselves and share their passions freely.
When two people in a relationship share their passions, it’s easy for them to feel like they have something in common with each other. Having shared hobbies, such as baking desserts or going hiking, can keep your conversations interesting and foster closeness.
5. Being in a healthy relationship is a good stress reliever
A partner can cheer you up when you’re down and remind you to take care of yourself. They can give you a hug or a pep talk when you’re feeling sluggish or let you know when they see you treating yourself with a little too much pride. They can also encourage you to take a jog or go for a walk, or just sit and chat together when you need a break.
6. Having someone to laugh with is another benefit of being in a healthy relationship. You can laugh with your partner about the silly things that happen in your daily lives, or about the bigger events you both experience. Having an outlet to laugh at yourself can help you deal with the stressors that can build up in your life and make you feel better about yourself.
7. Being in a healthy relationship is a safe place to be yourself
When you’re with someone who respects and values your uniqueness, it’s easier for you to be yourself. It can also be easier for you to open up about your vulnerabilities, as they are more likely to understand what you need.